New York - Addis - London The Story of Ethio Jazz 65-75
Vibraphone and keyboard player, master arranger and bandleader, Mulatu Astatke is one of the all-time greats of Ethiopian music and the creator of his own original music form, Ethio jazz. Through the acclaimed Ethiopiques album series and through featuring on the soundtrack to the Jim Jarmusch film Broken Flowers, his music has belatedly reached a global audience and a new, younger generation of fans. In November of last year, he recorded an inspired new album with London psych jazz band The Heliocentrics for Strut’s ‘Inspiration Information’ studio collaboration series. Now, Strut are proud to present, for the first time anywhere, the definitive Mulatu career retrospective covering his landmark ‘60s and ‘70s recordings.
01. ASIYO BELEMA (feat. Frank Holder)
02. MASCARAM SETABA (with Ethiopian Quintet)
03. I FARAM GAMI FARAM (with Ethiopian Quintet)
04. SOUL POWER (with Ethiopian Quintet)
05. GIRL FROM ADDIS ABABA (with Ethiopian Quintet)